35% of the total American workforce is working in a freelance capacity. By 2020 this number is expected to increase to 50%.
A revolution is quietly taking place in the marketing and creative workforce, forever changing the Marketing Service Industry. A significant power shift is freeing expert skill holders from the marketing and creative companies they serve. Talent has already begun its mass exodus from their employers and in 2016 took 1 Trillion Dollars of the economy with them.
Benefits to Freelancing are obvious: work less, make more and do it on your own terms. Who says you can’t design websites all morning, drive an uber all afternoon and then crowdsource the release of your new single in the evening. Career fluidity is a reality of the emerging workforce. Just how this on-demand, just-in-time, gig economy will impact the existing ecosystem of agencies and holding companies, and furthermore the brand leaders depending on skill holders for competitive advantage, remains to be seen.
Shifting Talent Distribution and Competitive Advantage:
Historically, large organizations and holding companies have gained competitive advantage due to their abilities in extending their talent’s reach beyond their specific geographic boundaries. The acquisition and operation of global companies provided them with a workforce of limitless talent and varying economic climates to leverage.
Today’s Freelancers, Consultants and Agile Agencies can collaborate across cultures, timezones and economic climates much more effectively than larger, siloed organizations can. Agility, lower operating costs and deep subject matter expertise has creating a strong value proposition that is core to their operating models. This value proposition is being met with demand from businesses that desire a more effective means of marketing their brand, products and services.
The Marketing and Creative Renaissance is Here:
This macroeconomic shift is disruptive for talent dependent industries, such as marketing and advertising, who make margins on employees’ billable hours. Their outdated operating model is struggling to maintain relevance. Radical reinvention is required from the Big 5 if they hope to effectively serve brands and their leaders.
Fortunately for skill holders of the marketing and advertising world, slow moving holding companies no longer have the advantage. There is no better time for niche experts to start their own small consultancies, agencies and freelance operations. The lifestyle, professional and financial rewards are ready to be seized.
How Communo Can Help:
Communo is dedicated to fostering a sharing economy of jobs, skills and business resources for freelancers, consultants and agile agencies in the marketing and creative services industry. We provide our members a critical advantage to help their organizations make the most of these macroeconomic trends through:
- Lower Overhead. From flexible office space and phone plans, to group benefits and professional development, Communo reduces the costs of fixed expenses required to running your business.
- Business Development. Win new business in partnership, not in competition. Our members work together to service and grow their share of clients businesses.
- Experts Always Access. If you make it through our vetting process, then you’re surrounded by other A-Players who you can use to scale your services and demonstrate increased relevance to your clients while keeping your overhead low.
- Focus your Talents. Our network is powered by specialized subject matter experts that do one thing and do it better than everyone else. Don’t worry, you can just hire your brothers and sisters in Communo to help with that other, less interesting work.
- Build a Community. Not just an App, but community online and in office. Members work in purposefully designed spaces and gather regularly to celebrate the community and movement that we are fostering together.
Propel this movement alongside the membership of likeminded experts! Learn more about Communo by reading our white paper and at one of our regularly scheduled Info Sessions: